The following questions may help you to decide whether Al-Anon is for you:
- Do you have a parent, close friend or relative whose drinking upsets you?
- Do you cover up your real feelings by pretending you don't care?
- Does it seem like every holiday is spoiled because of drinking?
- Do you tell lies to cover up for someone else's drinking or for what's happening in your home?
- Do you stay out of the house as much as possible because you hate it there?
You can see what the drinking is doing to the drinker, but can you see what it is doing to you?
- Are you afraid to upset someone for fear it will set off a drinking bout?
- Do you feel nobody really loves you or cares what happens to you?
- Are you afraid or embarrassed to bring your friends home?
- Do you think the drinker's behaviour is caused by you, other members of your family, friends, or rotten breaks in life?
- Do you believe no one could possibly understand how you feel?
- Do you have money problems because of some else's drinking?
- Are meal times frequently delayed because of the drinker?
- Have you considered calling the police because of someone's drinking behaviour?
- Have you refused to attend social occasions out of fear or anxiety?
- Do you think that if the drinker stopped drinking, all your problems would be solved?